- Come 5 minutes early to arrange chairs and tables.
- Sit in circle.
- You and your group will choose any ONE of the following activities through a lottery.
- You will receive individual awards for outstanding contribution.
Timeline for the class
9:15-9:20 PREAMBLE and LOTTERY
9:20-9:30 PREPARATION TIME for all groups (see below)
9:30-9:35 TASK 1
9:35-9:40 TASK 2
9:40- 9:45 TASK 3
9:45-9:50 TASK 4
9:50-9:55 TASK 5
9:55-10:00 TASK 6
10:00-10:05 TASK 7
10:05-10:10 TASK 8
10:10-10:15 TASK 9
10:15-10:20 TASK 10
10:20-10:25 SETTING CHAIRS and TABLES
Activities for the class
- Can you explain the statement: “…an initial prejudice, against a mere color, divorced from mankind, is turned into brutality and hatred”?
- Read pages 26-28.Give a presentation on “African Civilization”.
- Read pages 28-29. Give presentation on “the conditions of capture and sale of blacks”.
- The slave-owners developed “a system of control” to curb, restrain, and abolish slave revolt. Read about it on pages 35-38. Check how law and both physical and psychological means were applied. Share your understanding of the system of control by the early white settlers.
- Argue for the motion that the experience of first white settlers pressurized them to enslave blacks.
- Argue against the motion that the experience of the first white settlers pressurized them to enslave blacks.
- Argue for the motion that hierarchy is what you require for progress. Racial inequality is good for USA.
- Argue against the motion that hierarchy is what you require for progress. Racial inequality is good for USA.
- Do you think condescending attitude to someone is racist? How can patronization be racist?
- Mention as many reasons as you can to argue that blacks were helpless in the New land?